5.0

I had ordered heartguard from Canadavet.com before i started reading the reviews and I was honestly expecting to never see the meds and when I did get them they would be expired. I had no problem with them.

the meds were well within date I bought them July 2017 and expiration date is good through Oct 2019. It did take about 17 days for them to get to my house but considering where they were coming from i don't think that is so bad. and the price was not bad at all. So, I had a good experience with them and will use them again in the future.

I would also tell others to use them. I think it is ridiculous that the vet will refuse to give you heartguard without having to pay for bloodwork to ck for heartworms when you have been giving heartworm meds every month and you have a dog that barely goes outside. not to mention that the active ingredient in heartguard only kills eggs and larva in the bloodstream, so even if they happen to have some adults attached the chances are so slim that they will detach and cause a block in the heart that it is not worth your dog having to get the blood work and the cost of it. I had a dog that was diagnosed with heart worms after only missing a couple of months of taking heartguard (which you can get a false positive heartworm test, it happens all the time).

Back then the vet that I was going to would let you sign a waiver waiving their liability if your dog died and I just continued to give him heartguard right on time evey month from then on and 4 yrs later i had him tested again and he had no sign of heart worms anymore.

The adult heartworm only lives for about 4 yrs and then just desentigrates. If they don't have a very bad case of them there is no reason to do all the treatment for them and you can get x-rays to find out how bad an infestation they have.

Product or Service Mentioned: Merial Heartgard Plus Dewormer.

Reason of review: Fair pricing.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jul 29, 2017.

Comments

Well, as a Vet Tech I do see your point of view. I my self don't get my animals tested every year.

I use a product that gets the microfilaria and adult/immature worms, I also worked for this pharmaceutical company developing the product for market in the US. I like the topical b/c there is little to no chance of my animals not absorbing the product due to spitting out or throwing up. Not everyone is good a dosing animals or humans plus there were come a day when these parasites mutate to the point where the AI (active ingredients) are no longer effective. When this occurs hopefully the public will be made aware of it in time to change AI's products.

So far so good. You are correct there are false positives b/c of other parasites like lung worms migrating. That is why there are other tests that should be performed before any animal is put onto a treatment plan for heartworm positive results. Good articles on heartworm information can be found at https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/testing-for-heartworm-disease-in-dogs https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm188470.htm Best most scientific article: https://www.heartwormsociety.org/images/pdf/2018-AHS-Canine-Guidelines.pdf These should answer a lot of anyone's questions.

I use a product that prevents the L3 and L4 larvae and the treatment of microfilariae. As well as other stages.

It is topically applied therefore, I control the absorption by giving it in the PM after the last trip outside to potty and keep them beside me in case of rubbing or rolling around and getting it off. These active ingredients are a list of those types of meds The FDA-approved heartworm preventives currently marketed (ivermectin, milbemycin oxime, moxidectin, and selamectin) belong to the macrocyclic lactone (ML) class of {{Redacted}}.

to RS #1572321

RS, Here I just got my package and it took 14 days to get to me from day of order to delivery. Pretty great considering it came from Germany.

Please review my above comments and updated comments to see my experiences with my delivery and the product insert. It may help a few of you as well as keep you from wasting the chews by giving more than needed each month.